Course Duration: 2 years
Course Level: Level 3 Certificate
Why study Criminology?
- I am thinking of studying other related humanities subjects, such as psychology, law and sociology
- I am interested in learning more about the criminal justice system in UK
- I want to develop a range of transferable skills for my future career, including oral and written communication skills, the ability to solve problems, provide skills of project-based research, development and presentation.
What does the course consist of?
- Criminology is about crime and punishment. It is an exciting interdisciplinary subject that draws on law, psychology and sociology to examine how crime is defined, why people commit crimes, the perceptions of crime and why some crimes are unreported and how society responds.Unit 1: Changing awareness of crime
Unit 2: Criminological theories
Unit 3: Crime scene to courtroom
Unit 4: Crime and punishment
How is this course assessed?
- Two external exams (Units 2 and 4) and two 8 hour controlled assessments (Units 1 and 3)
- Graded A*-E.
What might this course lead on to?
- Study of Psychology, Law, Sociology or other Humanities based subjects at university
- The course will develop a wide range of skills and knowledge relevant to many job roles within the criminal justice sector, social and probation work.