Course Duration: 2 years
Course Level: A Level
Why study English Language?
- I want to know more about how language works – its grammar, vocabulary and how we use it
- I want to explore the power language can have to influence people
- I enjoy analysing written and spoken texts
- I enjoy group work and contributing.
What does the course consist of?
- Topics such as how and why our language changes; how children learn to communicate and why there are regional and social differences in speech
- Analysis of written, spoken and electronic texts
- Exploring important issues about language, power and representation
- Investigate an aspect of English that interests you, and write a piece of original writing such as a story or film review
- Much of the work is done by discussion in groups.
How is this course assessed?
- By examination (80%) and two pieces of coursework (20%).
What might this course lead on to?
- Higher education
- Careers which require a good understanding of the English language, such as journalism or broadcasting, teaching, PR, media, publishing, libraries and management.