Course Level: GCSE, Level 2
Why study GCSE Mathematics/ Functional Skills?
- l It is compulsory to re-sit this course if you did not achieve a grade 4 at GCSE
- Based on your Maths grade you will have the option to take the Exams in November (students with Grade 3 from school) or June
- Students on Grade 1 and Grade 2 from school will be working on Functional Skills Level 1 and Level 2 with the option to take on the Maths GCSEs after achieving this.
What does the course consist of?
- Applying mathematics in context, problem solving and exploring the functional elements of mathematics
- Reasoning, interpreting and communicating mathematically
- Developing and refining a sound technique in working with numbers and understanding fractions, decimals, percentages, basic ratio, best buys, time problems, scale drawings, perimeter, area volume and conversion of units
- Applying maths to mini-projects, such as ‘learning to drive and car costs’, ‘first time buyer’ and ‘holiday’ project scenarios.
How is this course assessed?
- External Exams in November or June for GCSEs with Key Assessment Grades during the year
- External Exams in December, March or June for Functional Skills with Key Assessment Grades during the year.
What might this course lead on to?
- Essential for various courses at University including teaching and nursing etc.
- Essential for apprenticeships and future employment.