Course Duration: 2 years
Course Level: A Level
Why study Economics?
- I want to study a dynamic and exciting subject of importance to everybody in society
- I want to investigate the best way of using limited resources efficiently
- I want to find out about economic issues that affect all of our lives
- I want to develop analytical and problem-solving skills.
What does the course consist of?
- Investigating core economic models and concepts across four main themes:
- An introduction to markets and market failure
- The UK economy – performance and policies
- Business behaviour and the labour market
- Global economic perspectives
- Investigating key issues such as:
- Market forces: Why are house prices so high in London?
- The state: Why are there always waiting lists in the NHS?
- Unemployment: Why is it so high in North East England?
- Climate Change: What can Economics offer to the debate?
- You will have the opportunity to take part in a variety of departmental activities such as an Economics Conference, competitions, a study trip and visit to London.
How is this course assessed?
What might this course lead on to?
- Higher education, as a specialist course or combined with other subjects
- Careers in many different areas such as Management, Marketing, IT, Accounting and Finance.