Course Duration: 2 years
Course Level: BTEC Level 3
Why study Applied Science?
- I enjoy finding out about science and want to gain the skills to work in a scientific job
- I want a course which prepares me for working in a laboratory in industry, pharmaceuticals or an NHS environment
- I enjoy practical work and can link theory to support me in this.
What does the course consist of?
- Year 1: Principles and applications of science, a theory based unit with a final exam in June.
> Practical scientific procedures and techniques that consists of a portfolio of practical work internally assessed by assignments.
- Year 2: Science investigation skills with an assessed practical.
> Genetics and Genetic Engineering
How is this course assessed?
- A combination of exam, portfolio and laboratory work.
What might this course lead on to?
- The demand for students with an Applied Science qualification is very high in both industry and higher education. Around 90% of students choose to study subjects such as Biomedical Science, Chemistry, Physics, Nursing, Physiotherapy, Biology, or Genetics at University with a further 10% gaining apprenticeships or employment.